Staying fit and active is no longer a choice but a necessity. Fortunately, more and more people are realising this and taking the initiative to lose weight, exercise more, and get in good shape. The fact that exercising more and living healthier are two of the top New Year’s Resolutions only re-iterates how conscious people have become about choosing an active lifestyle. However, it’s a task that is easier said than done, as it requires tremendous self-discipline and control.
One of the best ways to keep the momentum going while following a strict exercise routine is participating in fitness events. Whether it is a tough Mudder, off-road running, a marathon, or any other kind of fitness event, all of them are great for testing your stamina and any strength you may have gained since you began working out. To fully commit to a competition or a fitness event, adequate preparation is a must. Here, we give you some valuable tips on how you can train for a fitness event.
Before You Begin…
- Take time to research the event and the venue so you can tailor your training according to the terrain and the event requirements.
- If you’ve never participated in the event or practised the sport or activity, start well in advance so you are perfectly familiar with the techniques or routines.
- Set goals and timelines to monitor and measure your progress.
- Get advice from someone who has previously participated in the event or knows the sport well. They can help rectify any errors you may make during your training, so you get it right on the event day.
- Create a well-structured training plan in line with the goals and timelines you’ve set to achieve the desired results.
- Create and follow a healthy diet plan that focuses on building your muscles, increasing your strength and stamina, and helping you stay energised. Also, make sure you stay well-hydrated throughout your training sessions.
- Choose appropriate shoes and clothes to reduce discomfort and any risk of injury.
- Focus on cardio and bodyweight exercises, including those that help develop stability, balance, flexibility, jump strength, and most crucially, core strength.
- Spend some time training at the venue of the event or on similar terrain to acclimatise yourself to any associated physical and environmental conditions.
- Make sure you use the same equipment for training or practising (if any) that will be used on the day of the event.
At The Event…
- Make sure you consume a light meal with carbs and protein a few hours before the event.
- Carry all the essentials that may be required for and after the event, including any necessary equipment, towels, snacks, and bottles of water.
- Do a short warm-up before the event starts to get your body and mind ready for the real thing.
- Start slowly, and gradually increase your speed or force, so you don’t deplete all your energy reserves at the very beginning.
- Stay hydrated throughout the event, but make sure you do not drink too much or too little to affect your performance.
- Keep going till the finish line, regardless of your position. Finishing is more important than winning.
Participating and training for fitness events is great for many reasons. From motivating an individual to push their limits and increasing their physical and mental strength and endurance to boosting their self-confidence and improving their winning capacity, fitness events can do a lot for people who are eager to come out of their comfort zones and achieve their fitness goals. And if you know how to train correctly, there will be no stopping you from reaching that finish line, possibly before anyone else!
If you are keen to participate in a fitness event that is fun and will take you several steps closer to your fitness goals, then you must register for the KEEP ATTACKING off-road running event now! Find out more about the event, or shop for the best-quality fitness apparel and accessories from KEEP ATTACKING.